Just a series of reminders as we head towards the end of the dancing season.
1) No dancing this Thursday night at St. David’s. (April 18th)
2) There will be NO dancing at Wesley United on Patrick Street on Monday, April 22.
3) The branch AGM will be Monday, April 29th at Wesley United. The meeting will begin at 7pm. We hope that it won’t last more than an hour, and there will be dancing after that. This will be the last Monday night of the regular season.
4) The last Thursday night class will be Thursday, May 2nd. There will be a party afterward.
5) The May Mayhem Social will take place on Saturday, May 4th, at 7:30pm at Wesley United. The programme is attached to this email. The cost is $10 at the door. And there will be treats and socializing after the dancing.
6) Summer dancing will begin on Monday, June 3rd at St. David’s at 7:30pm and will run until August 12th. These evenings are drop-in and there is no set programme or class. Come along and bring your favourite dance – or something that you’ve always wanted to try. The cost is $7 / night.
Hope to see you out at one or more of these events!
From the Branch Secretary:
The schools are closing; MUN is closing. Stay home and spend quality time with your families and snow shovels.
The class at Wesley is not going to happen.
Your Monday night Instructor is sick. Dancing at Wesley is cancelled for tonight.
But don’t despair! Anyone who is interested is invited to go to the class at Paul Reynolds (aka Wedgewood Park) instead. It runs from 7pm to 8:30pm (yes, half an hour earlier). It costs $6 to drop in. Bring a cup; there is a sink in the class room.
The class is aimed at beginners so there will be some step practice and the dances will be quite easy, but it would be lovely for the two people who have been going to have a chance to dance with other people. They will also be doing a couple of ceilidh-style dances (tonight: Waltz of the Bells and, probably, the Military Two Step).
Thank you to all those who came out this afternoon to dance in Witless Bay. It was a bit crowded, and warm, but it went really well and the audience seems to have enjoyed the whole thing from the singing to the dancing to the shortbread. And then there was the tinned haggis – which wasn’t all that bad either.
It was great to have such a nice crowd come out.
Just a reminder that the first social of 2019 – a not-to-be-missed event – will be next Saturday, Feb. 2nd, at 7:30 at Wesley United on Patrick Street. $10 at the door.
The big day is here!
Monday night classes begin this evening at 7:30 pm at Wesley United. Come a bit early so that you can pay Ken, if you plan to pay for the full term ($90).
- If you know anyone who is interested in / planning to attend the Burns Supper and think that they would enjoy the ceilidh dancing, remind them that they can come this evening and next week for free for the first hour for some practice.
Thursday night classes are already under way on Thursday evenings at St. David’s Presbyterian Church at 8pm.
A beginners drop-in class will begin at the Paul Reynolds Centre on Jan. 21st. The time for that class is 7 to 8:30pm. The cost is $6 per class to drop in, so this is a great option if you know people who think that they would like to try SCD.
Dancing in Witless Bay – we will be helping the seniors’ residence in Witless Bay celebrate Robert Burns on Sunday, Jan. 27th, at 2pm. All are welcome to come out (we will try to arrange rides and so on later). We’ll do some dances from the upcoming Social programme and some participation dances for the staff and residents.
There will be one final class of our summer dancing season on this coming Monday August 14th at St. David’s.
Our “regular” Fall season of classes will start up on Sept 11th at Wesley United and on Sept 14th at St. David’s.
Summer dancing at St. David’s is cancelled for Monday, Aug. 7th because of an anticipated lack of bodies.
There is, however, the chance that there could be dancing on Aug. 14th – at St. David’s – if the numbers are there. We’ll post an update about this next week.
The dates for our summer dancing session have been set!
Dancing will run from Mon Jun 5th until Mon Aug 7th at St. David’s Presbyterian Church on Elizabeth Avenue. Dancing starts at 8:00 pm. The cost is the regular drop-in fee of $7.
Dancers should think of dances that they would like to do and come along prepared to suggest them or even talk them through on the night. (Otherwise, so threatens the Branch Secretary, it will be Double Trouble Triangles every time!)
I’m sure all members of the Branch will want to join in congratulating our Branch Chairperson, Catherine Wright, on receiving the Memorial University Arts in Education Award for her work as a storyteller, visual artist, and dancer at this year’s ArtsNL Arts Awards which were announced at a a gala dinner at the Rooms on Friday night.
Congratulations and Well Done, Catherine.